When was the last time you’ve allowed your dreams to fall along the wayside? When they didn’t come true, did you troubleshoot or did you allow them to become a thing of the pass?
Sometimes we don’t do enough troubleshooting when dealing with failed dreams. We make excuses for why they don’t come true and sometimes we point fingers everywhere but at ourselves.
Why do we give up on our goals?
1) We Become Overwhelmed – Overwhelm is one of the number one tricks that the enemy will use to convince us that we’re in over our head. Remember, God wouldn’t put more on you than you can bear. I encourage you not to give up when it seems like you’re in over your head.
Now that you know it’s a trick of the enemy, next time you feel overwhelmed, that’s a great time to exercise your faith and speak life into your dreams. Pray that God gives you the right path to take, and the wisdom and strength to overcome that major hurdle, called “overwhelm.”
2) Lack of Ability to Move Forward – James 2:20 – “But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?”
I think about, Peter, while he was out on the boat facing the treacherous storms and raging seas. Peter, was bold enough to step out on the waters and walk toward Jesus. Granted, when he saw that the winds were boisterous, he became afraid and began to sink, but one can only think, what might have happened if he had not taken the first step toward Jesus?
My friend, Jesus is the ultimate provider. You can have all the tools available to you but you can’t obtain success without moving forward.
3) Lack of A Strong Foundation – If you don’t write down your goals, or the “why” for your goals, then you don’t have anything to focus on, once you loose inspiration. During the interim of obtaining our goals, we loose the excitement and motivation that we had when we were first inspired to achieve our goals.
If you write down a well thought out “why” for your goals, then your why should be enough to keep you motivated when you loose inspiration.
4) Listening To The Wrong Voices – Whose voice are you listening to? A wise man once said, “Behind every successful person lies a pack of haters.” This is unfortunate but it’s true. Don’t allow others to convince you that you’re wasting your time. Don’t listen to the voices of defeat. The bible tells us that we’re more than a conqueror. We are victorious. If you’re not strong enough to combat the rebuttals of the haters, then they will pull you down.
5) Negative Thinking - This is an answer that I used pretty often in my bullet-ed articles because your mind-set is key to whether you are successful in achieving your goals. I encourage you to take a look at my previous articles, How to Change Your Negative Thoughts, 25 Positive Affirmations – Take Control of Your Mind and 50 Positive Affirmations To Live By.
These articles give great insight on how to change your negative thoughts. I also provide a list of positive affirmations that are critical in changing any negative thought pattern that you may have.
6) We Don’t See Results – Zechariah 4:10 reminds us not to despise small beginnings. When we get excited about something and we want to pursue it, it’s natural to want to see the results now. If we don’t see the results that we want to see, when we want to see them, then we sometimes loose passion for pursuing our dreams. Lack of patience can be the death of our fate.
It’s better to keep pursuing our dreams even when we don’t see results, than it is to give up and throw away our great future.
7) We Loose Focus and Become Side-tracked – A couple years ago, when I started blogging, I lost sight of my dreams because wasn’t focused enough. At the time, I was looking to the left, to the right, and I was even looking behind me. I was looking everywhere except straight ahead where I was going.
It was because of my lack of focus, that I began to allow my passion for writing to dwindle away. In hindsight, the lesson that I learned, was that no matter what comes before me, I will not loose focus. I will always pursue my dreams. I want to encourage you, just as I encouraged myself, to take a personal oath that no matter what, you are in it to win it.
No matter how long it takes to reach that pinnacle of success, keep pushing. Adversity may come, and even if you have to take a break to recharge yourself, keep charging forward as you go through your life journey.