They say that if you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, then that’s a bad start to your day. I’m not superstitious by any means but I do believe that saying to be a figure of speech of how important it is that we start our day off on the right hand.
Below are five steps that I believe will help you to start your day off on the right hand.
1) Pray – God doesn’t have to wake us up but because of His Grace and Mercy, He allows us the chance to see another day. Therefore, I believe we should be thankful in Him for allowing us to see His brand new mercies daily. Also when you pray, I believe it’s like insurance in the sense that, when you walk out the door you feel better knowing that you’ve put God first and He’s got you covered.
2) Morning Devotional - In addition to prayer, I believe we benefit from studying the Word of God on a daily basis. When we keep the Word of God in our heart it sets the foundation for our day.
3) Breakfast – They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day – I agree. Food is like fuel to our body and our minds thrive off of the food that we put in us. When you start your day with a good breakfast, you will find that you are more alert, because you have energized your body. Whether it’s cereal, toast and a fruit, or pop-tarts, eat something!
4) Think Positively/Focus on God – I’m always stressing positive thinking because the mind is the enemy’s gateway to us. If he can gain control of our thoughts, then that is like feeding poison to our bodies. Besides, after praying and studying the word of God, it’s hard to remain faithful to what God tells us, when we’re thinking negative thoughts.
There’s an old saying that “an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.” If you don’t keep your mind focused and filled with what the word of God tells you, then the devil will fill it. Focus on the Word of God and not the negativity in your life.
5) Exercise – Exercise is one of the most natural remedies to fight fatigue. When you exercise, your body naturally produces what is known as endorphins. Endorphins are neuro-chemicals that are naturally produced in the brain, and they are responsible for our positive moods.
Have you ever exercised and noticed that you felt better afterward? Well, the brain naturally produces endorphins when we exert ourselves such as working-out or doing any strenuous activity. Exercise is definitely a great way to get started with your day.
In conclusion, you may think, “well, I hardly have enough time to do the things I normally do in the morning, before I get going.” I totally understand. I would agree that some people have to wake up very early in the morning to get started with their day, but think on this: sometimes we get so busy that we hardly have time to spend with God.
If nothing else, devote special time to Christ because He is your main source. Hebrews 11:6 tells us: “But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.”
You may be tired and sleepy when you wake up in the morning, and as a result, you may allow only a small window of time to prepare for the day. Remember, the bible tells us that when we are weak, then we are made strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9 says “And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” You see my friend, He is the source of our strength!
I believe it will benefit you to execute all five steps outlined here but make no mistake; always put Christ first in everything you do. It will pay off in the long run and He will reward you as you go through your life journey.